Department of Computer Science
Rochester Institute of Technology
Phone: (585) 475-4536
|[ Home ]||[ Members ]||[ Projects ]||[ Publications ]||[ Software ]||[ Support ]|
Left: Nidhin Pattaniyil presenting the Tangent math search engine at NTCIR-11 in Tokyo (Dec. 2014)
Right: Kenny Davila at ICFHR in Crete, Greece where he presented his handwritten math symbol recognizer (Sept. 2014)
The Document and Pattern Recognition Lab (dprl) is located in the Department of Computer Science at the Rochester Institute of Technology in Rochester, New York, USA. Our lab explores ways to improve the algorithms and tools used for automatic recognition and retrieval of information in documents, images, audio and video.
News (2015) (Earlier News)
- (Mar.) dprl alumni Keita Del Valle (MSc HCI, 2014) has accepted a position with Google Research in Mountain View, CA as a User Experience (UX) Researcher.
- (Mar.) Additional stories about the Tangent math search engine have appeared online: Making Search Engines Understand Math (EE Times), RIT Takes Lead in Formula Search Engine Racing (Campus Technology), and Demystifying Mathematics with Tangent Search Engine (Technology.org). The EE Times story was later picked up by ACM TechNews.
- (Mar.) Houssem Chatbri will be giving a talk on sketch-based retrieval in lecture videos on Friday March 4th at 12pm in GOL-1455.
- (Feb.) Today (Feb. 4) an RIT University News story on the Tangent math search engine appeared. The story features David Stalnaker, Nidhin Pattaniyil, and Kenny Davila.
- (Feb.) The research methods and writing text Writing for Computer Science (3rd ed.) by Justin Zobel will be published in the coming days. Prof. Zanibbi contributed some of the exercises in the new edition.
- (Feb.) The lab welcomes Houssem Chatbri (PhD student, Univ. Tsukuba, Japan), who will be visiting during Feb.-March. He will collaborate with Prof. Zanibbi on math retrieval research.
- (Dec.) Prof. Zanibbi will be an invited speaker at the 2015 Conferences on Intelligent Computer Mathematics (CICM).
- (Dec.) Nidhin Pattaniyil has received a travel award from the NTCIR-11 conference organizers.