The Document and Pattern Recognition Lab (dprl) explores ways to improve the algorithms and tools used for
automatic recognition and retrieval of information in documents.
Earlier News (2008-2012)
- (Dec.) The lab welcomes Zack Miller to the lab. For his MSc project, Zack will be working on keyword spotting in audio for the AccessMath project.
- (Dec.) The lab welcomes Nidhin Pattaniyil to the lab. Nidhin will working on combined text and math search for his MSc project.
- (Nov) Siyu Zhu has successfully defended his PhD dissertation proposal. Well done, Siyu!
- (Nov) Lei Hu has successfully defended his PhD dissertation proposal. Congratulations, Lei!
- (Oct) Kenny Davila's paper describing a system for image-based retrieval of mathematics in lecture videos has been accepted for presentation at the 2013 IEEE WNYIP conference being held at RIT in November.
- (Aug) David Stalnaker has successfully defended his MSc thesis, Math Expression Retrieval Using Symbols Pairs in Layout Trees.
- (July) Christopher Sasarak will be giving a presentation on his work with recognizing ASL in video using the Recognition Strategy Language at the Undergraduate Research Symposium on Friday August 2nd at 2:15pm (at the RIT Inn).
- (June) The Video CAPTCHA demo is now back online (the experiment version - data is not being collected at this time). Please note that the "P" or "F" at the bottom right after submitting tags indicates whether the challenge was passed or failed (we are still working to recover small portions of the code).
- (June) Lei Hu and Siyu Zhu will be participating in the Doctoral Consortium at the International Conference on Document Analysis and Recognition in August.
- (June) Francisco Alvaro and Prof. Zanibbi's paper on using shape descriptors for symbol and expression layout classification has been accepted for publication at ACM DocEng 2013.
- (June) Congratulations to Alex Canter, who has successfully defended his MSc project on OCR attacks applied to Video CAPTCHAs.
- (June) The lab welcomes Justin Kelly to the lab. Justin is a BSc (Computer Science) NSF REU student who is working over the summer on recognizing math in images.
- (June) The lab welcomes Dr. Harold Mouchere from Univ. Nantes, France, who is visiting the lab and collaborating with Prof. Zanibbi during the month of June.
- (May) Congratulations to Matthias Reichenbach, who has successfully defended his MSc project on the effect of rendering math expressions on relevance assessment for math search.
- (May) Congratulations to Kenny Davila Castellanos on successfully defending his MSc project on image-based search of whiteboard notes in math lecture videos. Kenny will start his PhD in the DPRL for the AccessMath project this summer, co-supervised by Prof. Zanibbi and Prof. Ludi.
- (May) Congratulations to George (Huaijin) Chen on successfully completing his senior undergraduate Imaging Science project on using inpainting to hide text and prevent OCR attacks against Video CAPTCHAs.
- (May) Prof. Zanibbi has been awarded an NSF REU grant, which will be used to fund undergraduate researchers in the DPRL lab during summer 2013.
- (May) ImagineRIT will be held on Saturday, May 4. The lab will be demonstrating the
math search interface in the atrium of the Golisano college.
- (May) Lei Hu and Siyu Zhu had papers describing a system for detecting text in patent document images (Siyu) and using shape contexts to segment handwritten mathematical symbols (Lei) accepted for publication at the International Conference on Document Analysis and Recognition being held in Washington, DC in late August.
- (April) Congratulations to Matthias Reichenbach, who has secured a position with Square in San Francisco.
- (April) Congratulations to George Chen on being accepted for PhD study in Computer Science at Rice University.
- (Mar.) Prof. Zanibbi gave a talk on the dprl's work in math recognition and retrieval Creating User-Friendly Systems for Math Search as part of the RIT Imaging Science Seminar Series.
- (Feb.) CROHMELib v. 0.1 and LgEval v. 0.2 have been released.
- (Jan.) The
math search interface will be demonstrated at the 20th Document Recognition and Retrieval Conference being held in San Francisco Feb. 5-7th.
- (Jan.) The 3rd international Competition on Recognition of Handwritten Mathematical Expressions (CROHME) has begun! Data and tools are available. The registration deadline is Feb. 15th.
- (Jan.) The lab welcomes Francisco Alvaro, a PhD student from the University of Valencia, Spain, who will visit the DPRL between January and May of this year, as he carries out his research in mathematical notation recognition.
- (Jan.) The LgEval library (a python library for evaluating structural pattern recognition algorithms by Profs. Zanibbi and Mouchere) has been posted on the Software page.
- (Dec. 2012) The lab welcomes Alex Canter to the lab, who will be looking at applying OCR to text extracted from natural scenes.
- (Nov.) Siyu Zhu and Lei Hu have received RIT Graduate Research and Creativity Awards ($500 each), to be used in support of their travel to DRR in San Francisco, and ICPR in Japan, respectively.
- (Nov.) Drs. Zanibbi and Blostein's survey on math recognition and retrieval will be published in the next issue of the International Journal on Document Analysis and Recognition.
Last updated: $Date: 2013/05/16 19:43:27 $