Parallel Computing II - Profiling Information Sources
- MPE At RIT -
User's Guide -
http://www-unix.mcs.anl.gov/mpi/mpich/docs/mpeguide/paper.htm (Be aware that not all may work for us.)
An MPE Tour is available once jumpshot-3 is running (under Help menu). The files mentioned in the tutorial are available from share/jumpshot-3/logfiles in the mpe directory above.
Uses TMPDIR and MPE_LOG_FORMAT environment variables.
- collect/analyzer - See tutorials in performance manuals below or man pages. Does NOT work on parasite - segmentation fault (core dump) upon loading the
collected test output file!!!! This MAY be a Solaris 9 issue; it's not clear.
NOTE: Colormap allocation problems may be eliminated by exiting
your browser and all other color applications.
- prism - Does NOT work for threaded programs on our machines with SSH! :-(
Also, when running prism, there is a color issue that requires you to close
netscape or any other programs that use color. Also, prism, like MPE,
uses the TMPDIR environment variable. Sun tells me that they are
moving away form TNF which is causing the problem and replacing the profiler
with something called mpprof which is shipped with ClusterTools 5.0.
We do NOT have this yet.
- gprof - execute: man gprof
- prof - execute: man prof
- Analyzing Program Performance With Sun WorkShop (Forte Developer 6 / Sun WorkShop 6 Collection) (What we are currently running.)
NOTE: collect and analyzer seem to work better outside of WorkShop rather than from inside.
- Forte Developer 7: Program Performance Analysis Tools (Forte Developer 7 Collection) (Installed and about to undergo testing.)
NOTE: While the functionality of collect and analyzer do not seem to have changed, the interface for
analyzer is different under Forte 7 than under Forte 6. I found that
careful perusal of this material makes it useful.
- Sun HPC ClusterTools 4 Performance Guide (Sun HPC ClusterTools 4 Collection) (What we are currently running.)
Nan C. Schaller
Rochester Institute of Technology
Computer Science Department
102 Lomb Memorial Dr.
Rochester, NY 14623-5608
26 March 2003