Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.



You may have some questions about RIT policies, the Computer Science curriculum, and other academic topics. We have put together information for Undergraduates, Graduates, and Parents to help clarify these questions. If you can’t find the information you are looking for, feel free to contact us at and we’ll be happy to help.

Undergraduate FAQ

Coming Soon

Graduate FAQ

Coming Soon

Parent FAQ

What do I do if my son/daughter is having trouble with classes?

There are many resources available for your son/daughter to help them succeed. The CS student/tutoring center is located in Golisano Hall, room 3670 and offers free tutoring services for students taking introductory CS classes or who may need help with some of our theory courses.  In addition, there are many other types of tutoring offered to students (many free of charge!) across campus.  You can find more information about these services at Tutoring @ RIT . Your son/daughter can also meet with their CS assigned academic advisor to talk about their academics.

How do I find out what my son’s/daughters’ grades are?

Grades are made available to the student. A set of federal guidelines, outlined by the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) protects student’s educational records and it is up to your son/daughter to disclose their grades to you or give you access to their record on the student information system.

What is FERPA and how does it affect me?

FERPA stands for “The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act”. FERPA protects the privacy of students above the age of 18. Under FERPA, any school that receives federal aid (RIT does receive aid) must keep personal information including grades private. The CS Department cannot disclose any personal information to you without the consent of your son/daughter.

Who do I need to speak with if I cannot get in touch with my son/daughter?

If you are having trouble contacting your son/daughter and you are worried that they may be in danger, call Public Safety at 585.475.3333 (emergency) or 585.475.2853 (non-emergency) and they will be able to give you further advice about what can be done to locate your son/daughter.

What can be done if my son/daughter failed a course?

An undergraduate student may repeat a course to raise a grade. If a student repeats a course, the last grade will stand as final. Courses taken at other institutions may not be considered as repeats. Credit earned by examination/experience may not be used to repeat previous course work. It is important to note that both grades will appear on his/her transcript, but only the last grade will be used to calculate his/her GPA.  Students should consult with their assigned academic advisor to come up with a recovery plan.

What happens if my son/daughter dropped or withdrew from a class?

During the first 7 days of the term your son/daughter can Add or Drop a class without penalty. After this time, he/she can no longer drop the class but must withdraw. A grade of “W” will be assigned to the student’s record if the student withdraws. A grade of “W” does not affect a student’s GPA.  Students considering withdrawing from a course should consult with their assigned academic advisor.

Who can my son/daughter speak to if they are thinking of changing majors?

Your son/daughter first needs to speak to their assigned academic advisor in the CS department. The advisor can give them further instructions at that time.

What can be done if my son/daughter needs to dispute a grade?

Your son/daughter should first speak with his/her instructor in order to gain an understanding of the grade. If no resolution is made during that time he/she can set up a time to meet with the CS Department Chairperson. To set up a meeting, call 585.475.2995 or stop by the CS Student Services office (GOL-3005). If no resolution is made he/she can refer to Policy D17.0.Final Course Grade Disputes.

What can my son/daughter do with a degree in Computer Science?

Students who earn a degree in Computer Science develop many valuable skills and depending on their interests and experiences, can market themselves to work in many different types of industry. Remember that Computer Science is all about inventing and problem solving. A good way to think about computer scientists is that they develop the brains that actually run the computer programs people use. For example, when you search for a book online and you find the book you want and the website also tells you about similar books you might enjoy, computer scientists were the people who developed the brains for that website that give you those other recommendations based on your interests. This is just one example of the countless inventions that computer scientists develop every day.

What companies have previous students worked for during a Co-op?

Some examples are Google, Facebook, Amazon, Apple, Citigroup, Harris Corp., BAE Systems, Excellus Blue Cross Blue Shield, Computer Associates, IBM, Intel, Intuit, Mozilla, MOOG Inc., Oracle, Microsoft, Infimed Inc, National Security Agency, Paetec Communications Inc, Paychex, RightNow Technologies Inc, Thomson Reuters, Veramark Technologies Inc, Vicor Corp, and Xerox.  There are also many others.

What types of activities can my son/daughter partake in at RIT?

RIT has over 150 clubs and organizations available for students to join. We also have a variety of intramural sports happening throughout the year. One of the most interesting things that students enjoy is the Special Interest Housing. The Computer Science House is a community made up of CS and non-CS students who are interested in computer science. They live together on the 3rd floor of Nathanial Rochester Hall and learn about computing first hand. They have their own network, student modified vending machine, lounge, conference room, software center, and work on a variety of projects throughout the year. More information about the Computer Science House.

What is done by RIT to ensure that my son/daughter succeeds?

It is ultimately up to your son/daughter to succeed. The CS department is happy to meet with any student to go over his/her academics. Faculty are encouraged to take part in the “Academic Alert” program which lets the academic advisors know when students are having trouble in class.

Why is my son/daughter on academic probation and what are the policies?

All students must maintain a C (2.0 GPA) average in order to stay in good standing. If your son/daughter falls below a 2.0, but above a 1.0, for a term or if his/her cumulative GPA falls below a 2.0, but above a 1.0, they are put on academic probation. Any student who is on probation for 3 terms in a row is suspended from RIT for one year.  If your son/daughter falls below a 1.0 for a term or with his/her cumulative GPA, they will be placed on academic suspension.  Please refer to Policy D05.1 Academic Actions and Recognitions.