Tinker Toys Getting Started Object Control Window
Composite Matrix Tutorial
Apply the matrices within a composite matrix one at a time.
- Reset the objects by pressing the
Reset Toolbar button
in the Object Control Window.
- Use the Window menu
Matrix Window item to display the
- Set the Operation to Rotate Y and
With respect to to Center.
- Rotate the
model by clicking the mouse
button on one of it's vertices in the World Panel, dragging
it slightly in the desired
direction of rotation, and releasing it. Notice that the
Matrix Window now holds the
model last transform matrix, which performed the rotate.
- Rotate the model around the Z-Axis by selecting
Rotate Z and repeating the above step.
- Scale the model equally in all three dimensions
by selecting the Scale Eq Operation and then clicking
the mouse on one the model's vertices, dragging it
slightly outside of the model, and releasing it.
- Back-up the scale transformation by pressing the
Backup Toolbar button once.
Note that the composite
transformation matrix that did the scaling is still
displayed in the Matrix Window.
- Highlight the composite scale matrix's first sub-matrix,
T1, by clicking the mouse button on the box in the
Matrix Window which contains the T1 matrix's text.
Examine the matrix displayed in the Matrix Display
Panel to the right and see that it is now a translation matrix.
- Apply the T1 matrix to the model by pressing the
The Model's center will be translated to the origin.
- And then apply the other matrices (A1 first, then S,
A2 and T2) by selecting them and then pressing the
Apply button. This will step through the individual
transformations that scale an object with respect to its
Last Modified: 5/16/96 APR